Saturday, May 14, 2011

A weekday in the life…




I wake up as the sun rises and roosters scream. Some children are already up and walking past my house on the road to school. I make coffee and get ready for school. I have time to listen to a few songs and eat an apple or banana if I was lucky enough to make it to the market the on the weekend. I carry my woven fan to shield me from the already hot sun, grab my school bag, and start my short walk inland. My favorite 2 year old yells FA (goodbye) ALLI! at me and waves. Then an old matai (chief) says to me:

Alu le aoga? (going to school)

ioe! (yes)

Manuia le aso (have a nice day)

Fapena fo'i ( same to you)

we say this every day. I walk past some taro gardens and palms. I say hello to the mothers as they walk past me. Most walk their kids to school every day if they are in a lower grade. They tell me good job for getting up early (and are usually making fun even though i am usually one of the first teachers at school) and have a nice day. I sign in for the day and finish my prep while I wait for the bell to be rung. Then the children sing a hymn and do a short prayer. I teach the year seven English lesson first. "Morning tea" is sometimes brought to us during this time. Which might consist of crackers and tea, cocoa, or sugared milk with lemon leaves, or a cup of noodles. After the lesson I check their homework and class work while their teacher does the other subjects, often stopping to ask me how to pronounce a word or tell me that she loves me. The kids have a recess and the teachers drink more tea. Then I do a reading lesson with the at-risk students, a different grade level each day. Following that I teach a reading lesson to the year seven class. Then I am pretty much done and make copies for people, plan lessons, or order the library books until its time to go. I walk home and my favorite child, Mena, greets me again. If my family is home they will usually offer me a meal which i devour. Then I turn on my fan and sleep on my floor through the hottest part of the day for 1 - 3 hours (I am very good at this).

When I wake up I read, begin planning the next days lessons, or help kids with homework. Then I take a walk on the road or back in the jungle or ride my bike a few villages over if i need something from the shop. As the sun starts to set I take a freezing shower and wash my clothes if I need to. Then the conch shell blows and I walk over to the main house to do a hymn and prayer with my family. Afterwards, we will sometimes watch the new zealand news and they will invite me to eat with them. I usually decline (unless I am craving coconut cream or I am out of food) and cook my own meal. I eat on the floor of my room (storage closet). Then I will finish up my school work and read or watch some media if I had met up with any other volunteers and exchanged any. Sometimes students will pop up at my window and need homework help. After all that I hit the lights and crawl into bed and tuck in my mosquito net and head to dreamland accompanied by the noises of dog or cat fights, roosters (they go off all day and night here…is that normal?), pigs digging around outside my windows, crickets, faint bass, waves, or rain.


I haven't been the "blogger' i thought i would be during this due to my location, but might i recommend this link for a more through description of life as a peace corps volunteer in samoa...rachel followingtheday.blogspot.com


missing everyone and blueberry pie

peace and love

sorry for gramatickal errorz

No comments:

Post a Comment